The retired racehorse Beware Chalk Pit, who was in training with East Kennett trainer Jonathan Geake from 2009 to 2015, was judged SEIB Racehorse to Riding Horse Champion at the Horse of the Year Show (4 October) - a crowning achievement to mark his second retirement.
Tim Price has won the prestigious Boekelo individual eventing competition in Holland and in doing so helped New Zealand take the Nations Cup - 13.4 penalty points ahead of Germany.
After a Hannon treble, James Garfield's star turn at Newbury was a real bonus for his newlywed trainer
James Garfield - with Frankie Dettori aboard - provided trainer George Scott with a perfect belated wedding surprise when breaking the juvenile course record in the £75,000 Group 2 Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes - the highlight of day two of the Dubai Duty Free International Weekend at Newbury (September 23.)
Newmarket-based Scott was recording a breakthrough first Group success just seven days after marrying Polly, daughter of James Garfield's co-owner Bill Gredley.
It is a long and expensive journey to take a horse from Britain to the USA for a race, but it can pay big dividends. Late last month, Ogbourne Maizey trainer Emma Lavelle took Casino Markets - a nine year-old brown gelding - to race at Saratoga in New York State.
Marlborough’s Josie Symons has helped Great Britain win a stunning team gold at the International Equestrian Federation's European Showjumping Championship 2017 for Young Riders, Juniors and Children on Horses in Samorin, Slovakia (8-13 August).
Will Rawlin, a talented up and coming event rider, has signed up to Elite Horse Owners ahead of his debut at the KBIS British Eventing Young Horse Championships held at the Osberton International Horse Trials in Nottinghamshire this week (28 & 29 September.)
Newbury Racecourse has four more days of flat racing ahead - and the highlight could well be the renewed rivalry between Cardsharp and US Navy Flag in the £75,000 Group Two Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes on the second day of the Dubai Duty Free International Weekend (Saturday, September 23.)
As the new jump racing season approaches, the horses at trainer Neil King's are all back from their summer in the fields - and looking wonderful on top of that spur of the Marlborough Downs that lies a handful of furlongs from Barbury Castle.
Great Britain’s Gemma Tattersall stamped her dominance on the 2017 Event Rider Master series by winning last weekend's fifth leg at Gatcombe Park Festival of British Eventing.
More Articles ...
- Still re-inventing eventing: how Event Rider Masters is opening up the sport
- Newbury Racecourse: John Francome honoured with renaming of novices' chase on Ladbrokes Trophy Day in December
- Hat trick for Fahey's northern powerhouse as Bengali Boys streaks home in Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury
- Michelle Williamson runs the White Horse Livery - & really enjoyed her first three star eventing at Barbury
- Can Richard Hannon's Epsom winner scoop Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury?
- Local Kiwi eventers aim for Nations Cup win at Aachen - with Chef d'Equipe Graeme Thom
- Event Rider Masters: will a superb contest & thrilling finish help to safeguard the future of Barbury Horse Trials?
- Twelve years on William Fox-Pitt puts his signature on Barbury again
- Barbury Horse Trials Day Three: France's Thomas Carlile takes the lead in a thrilling dressage phase
- Barbury Horse Trials - Day Two: Britain's Kristina Cook leads in the CIC three star
- Fox-Pitt leads CIC*** dressage at St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials
- Trainer Alan King fined: Champion Hurdle favourite Yanworth failed drug test
- World’s best event riders set for Barbury battle - as Andrew Nicholson targets sixth consecutive Barbury win
- Local racehorse Fidelity stays faithful to second place
- At Newbury you get entertaining racing & the chance to turn a pound stake into seventy quid on the Tote
- Jonelle Price: pregnancy means she will miss Barbury - her favourite event
- SUPPORTING THE EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: how Chapel Forge Farriers & their apprentices provide an equine podiatry service from foal to racehorse
- Event Rider Masters: next stop Barbury as Britain’s Sarah Cohen wins second leg in Germany
- Eventer Chelsea Pearce long-listed for British squad at Young Rider European Championships
- Marlborough Downs are one training yard down as George Baker Racing moves on
- Barbury launches business club to reach Wiltshire enterprises
- Newbury's big day on the flat: a Godolphin double and wins for local trainers Hannon & Charlton
- The Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes - the centrepiece of Newbury Racecourse’s richest race-day
- SUPPORTING THE LOCAL EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: behind the scenes with a vet from Wessex Equine
- Galileo Gold & Ribchester head acceptors for Newbury Racecourse’s £350,000 Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes
- July 2017: St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials to introduce arena eventing & ERM commentary for all
- Eventing: Andrew Nicholson wins his first Badminton - riding Nereo
- The magic is back: for Frankie Dettori & Galileo Gold Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes cannot come soon enough
- Badminton call heralds breakthrough for Lissa Green and Ali G
- Classic contenders and Royal winner headline Dubai Duty Free Spring Trials Saturday
- Emma Lavelle's first year training on the Marlborough Downs sees her nearly double her winners
- Newbury Racecourse's flat season gets off to a fine start with the Spring Trials Weekend
- Trainer George Baker to leave his Manton yard
- Retraining of Racehorses: the story of the stellar second career of Marlborough owned & trained racehorse Beware Chalk Pit
- Laura Thomas: local point-to-point trainer's 'cracking season' - with an added hunter chase victory
- Tedworth Point-to-Point - sun, crowds, fun, firm going...and not many runners
- Eventing: On the way to Badminton - Riddle Master gets some professional 'yoga'
- Andrew Nicholson set for another busy eventing season - as his horse Asis becomes As Is
- £90,000 raised at Newbury Racecourse's Greatwood charity raceday
- Cheltenham Festival: local star Lil Rockerfeller goes for gold in the Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle
- Jan Perrins talks to former jockey, Cheltenham specialist & trainer Andy Turnell at Broad Hinton: what does he think of the Grand National now?
- Newbury Racecourse announces The Ladbrokes Winter Carnival as the Hennessy Gold Cup morphs into the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Newbury's annual Greatwood Charity Raceday fields some punters' favourites - and a fascinating charity race
- Manton Assistant Trainer Rory O'Dowd wins a Godolphin prize - and visits Westminster
- Event Rider Masters confirm 2017 contests - including July's Barbury International Horse Trials
- Lambourn Open Day re-named in honour of Many Clouds
- Barbury Racecourse preview: Vine & Craven point-to-point promises strong entries, competitive races & local interest
- Paul Nicholls pleased with preparations for Newbury's major Betfair Super Saturday
- It's the Ladbrokes Gold Cup - leading bookmaker to sponsor Newbury Racecourse's flagship winter jumps meeting
- Weights for Newbury's Betfair Hurdle: 15/2 favourite Ballyandy handed 10st 6lb