Sir Mark Todd - almost certainly eventing's greatest ever athlete - has announced his retirement at the Camphire International Horse Trials in Ireland (July 28).
Al Shaqab has extended itssponsorship of the Group 1 Lockinge Stakes held at Newbury Racecourse in mid-May each year - witha new five-year deal.
Racecourse doctor Guy Mitchell will make sporting history at Newbury Racecourse on Thursday (July 25) when he becomes the first person with one eye to ride in a horse race in Britain - fulfilling a lifelong ambition.
The world's top equestrian eventing couple, Tim and Jonelle Price who are based in Mildenhall and live in Marlborough, were honoured with a dedicated momento by Mayor Councillor Mervyn Hall at the start of the full Town Council meeting (July 22) as recognition of their outstanding sporting achievements.
The New Zealand eventing team - three of them based near Marlborough - have finished second at Aachen,so falling just short of defending their most coveted Nations’ Cup crown (July 18-20).
However, the horses gave the bookies a less than joyful evening.After their latest evening meeting (July 27), Salisbury Racecourse gave a lively crowd The Best of Wham.
A 16.3 hands grey gelding, he is now 10 years old.With next season's jump stars coming back into training from their summer months out at grass, it is a good time to look at the new career of the former and very popular jump racing star Saphir du Rheu.
Newbury: Millman’s bargain buy takes Weatherbys Super Sprint - & a great comeback for Roger Charlton's Withhold
Trainer Rod Millman, whose 1997 Weatherbys Super Sprint victory with Lord Kintyre sustained his business for 22 years, secured the windfall that could keep him going for another 22 years when Bettys Hope got up on the line to give him a second victory in Newbury’s £250,000 prize race.
Shadn (pictured above) delivered the biggest racing success so far for Qatari ownerAbdulaziz Al Rabban when she surprised her local trainer Andrew Baldingby claiming the feature Listed Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Rose Bowl Stakesat Newbury (July 19).
More Articles ...
- Newbury’s Super Sprint Day could see the Melbourne Ten blazers jumping for joy
- Salisbury's Ladies Evening fields a 50-1 winner - and traditional Best Dressed contests
- Fellowes hopes Carnwennan will be too sharp for top rivals in Newbury's £100,000 Marsh Cup
- Barbury International 2019 - final day: the 'King of Barbury' regains his crown
- Barbury International Day Three: Andrew Nicholson wins again - on As Is
- Barbury International Day Two: local New Zealanders on song - but O'Connor takes the Open Novice class
- Day one of the 2019 Barbury International Horse Trials: the emphasis was on young event horse classes
- Salisbury's Bibury Cup goes to Desert Icon - by a neck
- Jonelle and Tim Price top the field at Event Rider Masters third leg competition in Belgium
- Barbury International Horse Trials: preparations well under way & "the grass is looking amazing"
- Father's Day racing at Salisbury sees Daddy's Daughter make her turf debut on just the right day
- Tim Price & Ascona keep Luhmuhlen's top honours in the family
- Newbury Races: She's in a class of her own - Antonia De Vega lands Johnnie Lewis Memorial race by four lengths
- She won the world's toughest, longest horse race - or pony race - and has written a compelling account of her victory
- Salisbury racecourse defies the weather to give punters a card with debuts and surprises
- Newbury: Antonia De Vega's new campaign starts in race last won by Sea Of Class
- Top of the world: Tim Price takes first place in the international eventing rankings
- Thirty days to go to 2019's Barbury International Horse Trials
- For the record: Oisin Murphy wins at Salisbury's 'Spire FM Back on the Track' meeting - will he be racecourse champion again?
- Newbury's model of consistency: Mustashry delivers eighth Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes victory for serial winner Stoute
- Salisbury on Thursday last week - 16 May
- Newbury declarations: can Romanised upset the odds again & spring an Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes surprise
- Laurens could be this year’s ‘superstar miler’ as she heads to Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes
- Salisbury Races: Jockey David Probert stole the show riding a double at their season's first evening meeting - sponsored by William Hill
- Rising star Jason Watson is Newbury Racecourse's 2019 ambassador for the Flat season & young racegoers
- Can the O-Brien filly I CAN FLY equal RHODODENDRON's 2018 Lockinge victory
- Defending Badminton champion withdraws
- Big fields and keen racing mark Salisbury's first raceday of the season
- Eventing: Marlborough's Tim Price takes third place at the Kentucky five star
- Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes: can Beat The Bank open his Group 1 account?
- Salisbury Racecourse's new season off to a family day start - with an added touch of history
- Newbury's Greenham Stakes: Mohaather win sets 2,000 Guineas poser - The Queen visits & Alan King takes the Spring Cup
- Newbury's Greenham Stakes loses Too Darn Hot - will Great Scot now take the prize
- Barbury Racecourse: Tedworth Point-to-Point sees a resounding Phil York treble
- Can Too Darn Hot launch his Classic campaign with a win in Newbury's Greenham Stakes
- Appleby hoping Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes can provide next Magic moment in Newbury's Group 1 showpiece
- Barbury Racecourse: Tedworth Hunt point-to-point attracts leading horses - & two pony races
- After Cheltenham Festival glory, Paisley Park is set to rest till next season
- Newbury's emotional farewell to Noel Fehily who retired with a final winning ride
- Newbury's last jumps card of the season: Neil King's special winner
- Altior to lead parade of Henderson's Cheltenham champions at Newbury's jumps season finale
- Noel Fehily to finish his riding career at Newbury Racecourse - for many years his 'local track'
- Eventing supporters see how the Prices are set for their 2019 challenges
- New eventing season opens with a victory for local rider Chelsea Pearce
- CHELTENHAM PREVIEW: How do I get to Ogbourne Maizey? Where? Bonita Racing Stables? Oh, just ask for Paisley Park
- Newbury's Greatwood Raceday: San Benedeto gets Nicholls his number nine dream
- Newbury Races: Emitom could be a name to remember after his fifth win in a row
- Newbury Racecourse: can Paul Nicholls clinch a ninth Greatwood Gold Cup victory?
- Barbury Racecourse: rescheduled Vine & Craven meeting springs some surprises
- EVENTING PROFILE: as the new season approaches, New Zealander Jesse Campbell makes a new start - with his fiancée