I am honoured to be taking part with nine other jockeys.On Saturday, 29 February, the Amateur Jockeys Association will stage a charity race at Newbury Racecourse in aid of the Greatwood Charity – which cares for former racehorses and uses them to assist children with special educational needs through its Animal Assisted Intervention (AAI) educational programmes.
...but the eyes of many racing fans were on chasing stars Altior - above with his happy owner Mrs Patricia Pugh - and Native River who both shone on an outstanding Betfair Super Saturday (February 9).
The jockey who rides bonus-seeking Not So Sleepy in the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle says they will be going to Newbury 'with all guns blazing' as they aim for the big race victory on Saturday (February 8) that will also net a £100,000 windfall for connections.
Point-to-point preview: record number of entries for Sunday's Vine & Craven meeting at Barbury Racecourse
Sam Jukes is excited about running Cheltenham Festival hope Marcle Ridge at the Vine & Craven Hunt meeting at Barbury Racecourse, near Marlborough, on Sunday (February 9).
With the point-to-point season in full - if wet - swing and with racing again at Barbury Racecourse on February 9 (The Vine and Craven meeting), Jake Exelby visits young point-to-point trainer Chloe Boxall in Lambourn.
Newbury races: Jonjo O’Neill jr relishing ride on Gold Cup winner Native River in Betfair Denman Chase triple bid
.Leading conditional jockey Jonjo O’Neill jr is looking forward to the biggest ride of his blossoming career when he makes his debut on 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Native River in the Betfair Denman Chase at Newbury on Saturday (February 8)
Altior ready to prove himself again as Henderson aims for hat-trick in Newbury's Betfair Exchange Chase
Altior, one of the superstars of jump racing, is ready to pick up the winning habit again at Newbury on Saturday (February 8) when he will bid for his third success in the Grade 2 Win Bigger On The Betfair Exchange Chase.
.The £100,000 Betfair Winter Bonus has been a key factor in persuading trainer Hughie Morrison and owner Lady Blyth to take a tilt at the Betfair Hurdle with Not So Sleepy at Newbury on Saturday (February 8)
After some well-earned rest over Christmas and the New Year the riders and ponies competed locally in Melksham to qualify for the Hickstead Eventers Challenge in May.The St John’s Academy equestrian team got off to a strong start in 2020.
More Articles ...
- Barbury Racecourse: Vine & Craven point-to-point gets a new race - the stable staff dash
- Lavelle finds Betfair Hurdle prize too valuable to ignore for emerging hurdler Highly Prized
- Your Darling compared to the great Best Mate after winning bumper debut at Newbury
- Trainer Hughie Morrison mulls £100,000 bonus as Not So Sleepy given Betfair Hurdle entry
- Wilton Horse Trials announce their new title sponsor
- Thyme Hill favourite for Albert Bartlett after Betway Challow Hurdle win at Newbury
- Lavelle hoping to taste yet more Newbury success with Eclair Surf in the Betway Challow Hurdle
- Hobbs hopes it’s Thyme for another Challow Hurdle success as Hill aims for Newbury’s Grade 1 race
- POINT-TO-POINTING FEATURE: Sara Bradstock on her riding career & the sport she loves - daughter Lily tells of her ambitions
- Grand National runner-up Magic Of Light claims second win in Newbury Listed Chase
- Barbury International Racing Club point-to-point attracts a big crowd big fields & six Irish raiders
- PREVIEW: Barbury International Racing Club's point-to-point attracts a record entry
- Newbury Racecourse: attendance up for both Ladbrokes Winter Carnival days
- Newbury's Ladbrokes Trophy: De Rasher Counter brings home the bacon on memorable weekend for local trainer Emma Lavelle
- Ladbrokes Winter Festival at Newbury: Paisley Park returns in triumph - defeating Thistlecrack in Friday feature race
- Newbury Races: Full house as Elegant Escape heads maximum field of 24 for £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy
- Ladbrokes Trophy hope De Rasher Counter is a real local interest - both bred and trained very near Marlborough
- A dead cert Christmas book: Anne Holland celebrates The Grand National
- St John’s Academy equestrian squad goes from strength to strength
- Newbury's morning gallops ahead of the Ladbrokes Winter Carnival sees AP back in the saddle - on the favourite
- NEWBURY RACECOURSE: OUR LADBROKES TROPHY DAY COMPETITION - the five winners are...
- Emma Lavelle Racing: picking up speed for the new jump season - & a visit from the neighbours
- Champ extends unbeaten record at Newbury with impressive first win over fences
- Hannon's three international raiders go unplaced
- Paisley Park to gallop before racing at Newbury on Thursday
- Jump racing comes back to Newbury - & local trainers are eager for the 'OFF'
- Home and away: Richard Hannon looks for big winners in Australia and the USA
- Ladbrokes Trophy: showtime for 69-strong syndicate hoping to see Cabaret Queen crowned for a day
- Shock as top local jump jockey Wayne Hutchinson retires
- Eventing: first CCI5* title for Tom McEwen - another ducking for Tim Price
- Bettys Hope Super Sprint success voted ‘Moment of the Season’ after outstanding Flat campaign at Newbury
- Alan King’s Trueshan looks stayer of the future after gutsy triumph in £50,000 Newbury feature
- They're back! Newbury's 2018 dead-heaters to face each other again in the course's last Flat card of the season
- COMPETITION: win tickets to Newbury Racecourse's big jumps day - the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Tim Price triumphs in France with seven year-old Happy Boy
- Champions Day: Withhold has earned the chance to take on Stradivarius, but ground concerns in-form Jason Watson
- Eventing: Marlborough locals bring home the Boekelo bacon
- Eventing: Christine Bates is flying high again on Adelaide Hill
- Newbury rounds off its Flat season with awards - including one you can vote for
- Worthington’s 'remember together' family raceday returns to Newbury Racecourse
- Emma Lavelle has a plan for Paisley Park's new season - and lots of other exciting prospects
- How the Elite Racing Club - and its partner syndicates - can make racehorse ownership into an affordable hobby
- Going greener: The Energy Check to be an official partner of Newbury Racecourse
- Pierre Lapin emulates half-brother Harry Angel with victory in Newbury's Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes
- Barbury Castle trainer Alan King's exciting Flat prospect: Tritonic wins at Newbury - a Derby prospect?
- Can Pierre Lapin follow in the footsteps of half-brother Harry Angel in Newbury's Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes?
- Good evening for outsiders at Salisbury's Friday 13 meeting
- Busy week at Salisbury with success for Emaraaty Ana in Tuesday's main race
- New star of the season Mums Tipple could top the bill in Newbury's Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes
- Eventing: local Burghley champion lines up a trio to chase the 2019 crown