Newbury Racecourse has four more days of flat racing ahead - and the highlight could well be the renewed rivalry between Cardsharp and US Navy Flag in the £75,000 Group Two Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes on the second day of the Dubai Duty Free International Weekend (Saturday, September 23.)
After a Hannon treble, James Garfield's star turn at Newbury was an real bonus for his newlywed trainer
James Garfield - with Frankie Dettori aboard - provided trainer George Scott with a perfect belated wedding surprise when breaking the juvenile course record in the £75,000 Group 2 Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes - the highlight of day two of the Dubai Duty Free International Weekend at Newbury (September 23.)
Newmarket-based Scott was recording a breakthrough first Group success just seven days after marrying Polly, daughter of James Garfield's co-owner Bill Gredley.
It is a long and expensive journey to take a horse from Britain to the USA for a race, but it can pay big dividends. Late last month, Ogbourne Maizey trainer Emma Lavelle took Casino Markets - a nine year-old brown gelding - to race at Saratoga in New York State.
As the new jump racing season approaches, the horses at trainer Neil King's are all back from their summer in the fields - and looking wonderful on top of that spur of the Marlborough Downs that lies a handful of furlongs from Barbury Castle.
Marlborough’s Josie Symons has helped Great Britain win a stunning team gold at the International Equestrian Federation's European Showjumping Championship 2017 for Young Riders, Juniors and Children on Horses in Samorin, Slovakia (8-13 August).
Great Britain’s Gemma Tattersall stamped her dominance on the 2017 Event Rider Master series by winning last weekend's fifth leg at Gatcombe Park Festival of British Eventing.
Newbury Racecourse: John Francome honoured with renaming of novices' chase on Ladbrokes Trophy Day in December
The Grade 2 novices' chase run over almost three miles on Ladbrokes Trophy Day, Saturday, December 2, 2017, at Newbury Racecourse has had its title changed to honour John Francome MBE.
Hat trick for Fahey's northern powerhouse as Bengali Boys streaks home in Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury
At a pretty wet Newbury Racecourse, Bengali Boys gave North Yorkshire trainer Richard Fahey his third success in five years in the £250,000 Weatherbys Super Sprint. Bengali Boys routed the opposition in the highlight race of Weatherbys Super Sprint Day - with after racing entertainment from Jess Glynne (Saturday, July 22).
More Articles ...
- Can Richard Hannon's Epsom winner scoop Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury?
- Local Kiwi eventers aim for Nations Cup win at Aachen - with Chef d'Equipe Graeme Thom
- Event Rider Masters: will a superb contest & thrilling finish help to safeguard the future of Barbury Horse Trials?
- Twelve years on William Fox-Pitt puts his signature on Barbury again
- Barbury Horse Trials Day Three: France's Thomas Carlile takes the lead in a thrilling dressage phase
- Barbury Horse Trials - Day Two: Britain's Kristina Cook leads in the CIC three star
- Fox-Pitt leads CIC*** dressage at St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials
- Trainer Alan King fined: Champion Hurdle favourite Yanworth failed drug test
- World’s best event riders set for Barbury battle - as Andrew Nicholson targets sixth consecutive Barbury win
- Local racehorse Fidelity stays faithful to second place
- At Newbury you get entertaining racing & the chance to turn a pound stake into seventy quid on the Tote
- Jonelle Price: pregnancy means she will miss Barbury - her favourite event
- Event Rider Masters: next stop Barbury as Britain’s Sarah Cohen wins second leg in Germany
- Eventer Chelsea Pearce long-listed for British squad at Young Rider European Championships
- Marlborough Downs are one training yard down as George Baker Racing moves on
- Newbury's big day on the flat: a Godolphin double and wins for local trainers Hannon & Charlton
- Barbury launches business club to reach Wiltshire enterprises
- The Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes - the centrepiece of Newbury Racecourse’s richest race-day
- SUPPORTING THE LOCAL EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: behind the scenes with a vet from Wessex Equine
- Galileo Gold & Ribchester head acceptors for Newbury Racecourse’s £350,000 Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes