The Aldon International in Somerset is one of the first major eventing competitions of the season. It was cold riding there on Saturday (March 17) - and Sunday's part of the competition was cancelled.
Cheltenham Festival final day declarations: Redicean is the big local interest, but can Nicky Henderson make it a Festival hat trick?
Declarations made today (Wednesday, March 14) for the final day - Gold Cup day - of the 2018 Cheltenham Festival have been overshadowed by the news from Ladies' Day.
And then the sun shone.It was not so much the betting forecasts that mattered on Day One of the 2018 Cheltenham Festival, but the weather forecast.
Local interest for Cheltenham Festival's Wednesday/Day Two - but first rain and then Altior are headline news
So the talk is all about the going. Until, that is, news came in that Altior had suffered a setback.Cheltenham got a little more rain on Monday and more is expected during the week.
Cheltenham Racecourse had ten millimetres of rain during Sunday-Monday night - and the going by 9.00am on Monday morning was 'heavy, soft in places' - from Sunday's 'soft, heavy in places'.
Keith Ottesen [pictured above] has been appointed as Clerk of the Courseat Newbury Racecourse, succeeding Richard Osgood, who leaves at the end of the year.
during the Cheltenham Festival. The local trainer to watch is Barbury Castle's Alan King who over the years has had fifteen winners at the Festival - some of his most important achievements out of a total to date of 1,321 national hunt winners - and counting.Everyone with the remotest interest in jumps racing will have an eye on runners
People like Josephine Saunders, who works at the Hillwood Stud in Aldbourne, are the backbone of the racing and bloodstock industries - the six thousand or so women and men who look after the horses at training yards and stud farms throughout the British Isles.
More Articles ...
- Emma Lavelle's young horses take centre stage as the jump season winds up the excitement
- Kalashnikov wins the Betfair Hurdle on Betfair Super Saturday at Newbury Racecourse - and Barbury Castle's Valdez is back
- Famous five storm Newbury's Betfair Hurdle - champion trainer Nicky Henderson's bid for sixth win - then there's Altior
- Barbury International Horse Trials stays firmly on the Event Rider Masters' 2018 calendar
- Newbury Racecourse: 41 still going for the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle on Betfair Super Saturday
- Second Barbury International point-to-point attracts entries from two Irish trainers to run in some more than Irish weather
- Andrew Nicholson draws a huge crowd to raise money for the Prospect Hospice
- Milansbar is back in great form - and Bryony Frost gave him an 'ace' ride
- Barbury International Point-to-Point: record entry includes 14 from Irish trainers & a three division 'bumper'
- Barbury International Point-to-Point affirms its international status
- End of 2017 thriller: Poetic Rhythm's narrow Challow Hurdle win at Newbury - great day for Fergal - mixed fortunes for Nicky
- Pete's retired - again - but he still takes the top prize
- Barbury reaches out to Irish pointers to join its International meeting
- Marlborough trainer Richard Hannon fined £8,000 for fourth cross-contamination error
- Newbury Racecourse's first Ladbrokes Winter Carnival: Irish raider Total Recall lands Ladbrokes Trophy - delighting Willie Mullins & Irish visitors
- Newbury's Ladbrokes Winter Carnival's first day - it's Yanworth versus the mutterers & Thistlecrack versus Unowhatimeanharry
- A Small Grant Means the Going’s Good at Greatwood!
- Barbury's first point-to-point of the season attracts punters, a chill wind and some strong fields
- New sponsor, new silverware: the new perpetual Ladbrokes Trophy unveiled
- He's a local lad, a racing legend and now he's got a Newbury chase named after him: John Francome talks about his favourite racecourse