Sarah Rippon was full of praise for Sonneofpresenting after her new charge upset odds-on favourite Cousin Pete it the Barbury International Racing Club meeting at Barbury Racecourse (December 16) - a new pre-Christmas date for this innovative fixture.
At present, Barbury trainer Laura Thomas has twenty horses at her yard, but she is standing back from training pointers to concentrate on pre-training, rehabilitation and box rest for racehorses - mainly for Alan King whose yard is just over the hill.
Preview: Barbury International Racing Club's point-to-point takes on its new pre-Christmas & post Cheltenham date
This is because it has moved the fixture from a January to December - to follow on from Cheltenham's two-day International Meeting.The Barbury International Racing Club's point-to-point on Sunday (December 16) is its second 2018 appearance.
Newbury: Sizing Tennessee leads Tizzard one-two in £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy - local interest Dingo Dollar is third
It may have rained for much of the afternoon on day two of Newbury's 2018 Ladbrokes Winter Carnival (Saturday, December 1), but the feature race - the £250,000 G3 Ladbrokes Trophy - turned into a Tizzard blizzard - led by Sizing Tennessee.
Elegant Escape favourite of 23 runners for Ladbrokes Trophy - Dingo Dollar & Black Corton in good shape for £250,000 Newbury highlight
Ante-post favourite Elegant Escape headlines the 23 five-day acceptors for the £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy at Newbury (Saturday, December 1) - the highlight of day two of the Ladbrokes Winter Carnival.
Winners of the two maiden races at the prestigious Barbury International fixture (December 16) are set to be rewarded with a voucher worth £1,000 to spend at any Irish sale thanks to a new initiative between Barbury and Irish Thoroughbred Marketing.
With the unfortunate closure of Hackwood Park at the end of last season, organisers of the Vine & Craven point-to-point have moved from their traditional Easter Monday slot to Sunday, November 25 at Barbury Castle - hoping to benefit from owners and trainers wanting to run their horses before Christmas.
Around 200 annual members of Newbury Racecourse and the press assembled on Tuesday morning for a preview of the Ladbrokes Winter Carnival - and especially the Ladbrokes Trophy (December 1).
More Articles ...
- Indoor Eventing: Jesse Campbell and Diachello II excel in Stuttgart Masters
- Newbury's jumps season kicks off - good racing & some markers for the future
- Defending champion Total Recall, Terrefort & Thistlecrack head entries for Newbury's £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy
- Bucket list opportunity - with added silks
- Betway announced as new sponsor for Grade 1 Challow Novices' Hurdle at Newbury
- Newbury Racecourse's Flat season ends on a military note - and marks two centenaries
- New Jumps season: preparations and prospects for Emma Lavelle Racing
- Salisbury Racecourse: a review of the season as its final meeting approaches
- Newbury Racecourse sees Ed Barrett’s truly remarkable walk for charity, lots of rain and good racing
- Eventing: Great Britain team's two gold medals at World Equestrian Games
- Neil King's Milansbar to target the Grand National again
- Eventing: Team Price's year crowned with Tim's fine Burghley win - next up for the 'golden couple' the World Games
- Eventing: Tim Price eyes Burghley crown
- Sir Dancealot's fine season continues as he takes Newbury's Hungerford Stakes
- A Newbury summer raceday giving pride of place to young blood - horses & riders - and there's a new face at the course
- Three local eventers picked for New Zealand's team at September's World Equestrian Games
- Seconds away from victory for Wiltshire eventer Georgie Strang at Hickstead
- World Equestrian Games: New Zealand eventers hit hard by injury to a winning team's horse
- Delight for Richard Hannon as 16/1 Ginger Nut proves tough in Newbury's Super Sprint
- New Greatwood scheme addresses trauma effects in members of forces, emergency services & their families