Ian Balding has been paying tribute to the best horse he ever trained as he recalls the life and career of the great Mill Reef, one of the most popular racehorses of all time, who was born 50 years ago this year.
My ride in Glorious Goodwood's 2018 Magnolia Cup - the premier charity race for amateur women riders
When the phone rang on June 14 asking if I could ride in this year’s Magnolia Cup, my heart leapt. This was a race I had always wanted to ride in.
Newbury racecourse marked the opening of its Flat racing season by installing a remarkable sculpture at the heart of the parade rings - Tom Hiscocks' massive yet finely realised depiction of a drinking horse.
Luke Harvey talks about riding, owning & training point-to-point horses - his love for the sport & its future
Luke lives at Kingston Lisle - just over the downs from Baydon.Where do I start with Luke Harvey - the man who tweets as @LeglockLuke? Jockey, trainer, TV personality, comedian, bon viveur - all that and he's probably the best-known owner of point-to-pointers in Britain.
Arriving at a race meeting last Saturday, braving some torrential rain and clouds hovering low on the nearby hills, a young photographer tweeted: "I've been coming here since 2011 and working here since 2014 and I still have to pinch myself every time I arrive...#LuckyGirl."
Equine Grass Sickness (EGS) is something most people who are involved with horses have heard of, yet many - like myself - are probably unaware of what it may involve.
This will be Marlborough trainer Emma Lavelle's second full season at the Bonita Racing Stables in Ogbourne Maizey. Last season her horses flourished in the airy stables and on the all-weather and grass gallops.
Flat jockey Jimmy Fortune did not want his last race to be a wet September evening's Nursery Handicap qualifier on an all-weather track. So he was very pleased when trainer John Gosden gave him his last ride at Newmarket on Nathra in the Group One Sun Charriot Stakes on October 7 - the day he announced his retirement.
More Articles ...
- Still re-inventing eventing: how Event Rider Masters is opening up the sport
- Michelle Williamson runs the White Horse Livery - & really enjoyed her first three star eventing at Barbury
- SUPPORTING THE EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: how Chapel Forge Farriers & their apprentices provide an equine podiatry service from foal to racehorse
- Badminton call heralds breakthrough for Lissa Green and Ali G
- Retraining of Racehorses: the story of the stellar second career of Marlborough owned & trained racehorse Beware Chalk Pit
- The Queen watches Wiltshire PCSO Annabel Twiddy and Donnerbolzen's winning rounds
- Grand National hope The Druid's Nephew highlights James' success story at Cheltenham
- An apprentice’s diary from the World Equestrian Games 2014