Our current Horse in the Spotlight - Fidelity - has remained faithful to his fancy for coming in second.
At Newbury you get entertaining racing & the chance to turn a pound stake into seventy quid on the Tote
A sunny day at Newbury Racecourse saw a good crowd for the eight race card. The card came with a warm-up act in the shape of a race for purebred Arabians sponsored by the Dubai International Arabian Races - and in the first race a major surprise for punters - well, for some of them.
To top off a good day's racing, Newbury Racecourse was named as the best large Racecourse in the south of England by the Racegoers Club. 'Team Newbury' was delighted with this accolade.
When I arrived to meet with Jonelle Price she scooted up, sitting side saddle on a tractor mower, having been busy cutting grass. Nearly seven months pregnant, it becomes apparent quite quickly that this lady is not going to let pregnancy slow her down.
Photo copyright Benjamin Clark/Event Rider Masters
Britain’s Sarah Cohen celebrated her first Event Rider Masters victory leading an all-female podium at Leg Two of the series at Wiesbaden - the first time a leg of the ERM competition has been held in mainland Europe.
The next leg of the 2017 series will be during the St James's Place Barbury International Horse Trials (July 6-9.)
Chelsea Pearce and Albert VI at the Houhgton International Horse Trials
Eighteen year-old event rider Chelsea Pearce, who is based near Marlborough, has won selection to the long-list for the British team to go to Ireland for the 2017 Young Rider European Championships.
She and Albert VI finished fourth at the Saracen Horse Feeds Houghton International Horse Trials in the CCIYR** - the premier young riders' class.
We will miss this logo as the George Baker horsebox takes horses to race meetings
Trainer George Baker, his wife Candida, their children, most of his team and some new young horses have now moved out of their Barton Yard on the Manton Estate.
By June 1 they will be installed at the new home on Robins Farm near Chiddingfold on the Surrey/West Sussex border - the yard there is 'very much up and running'. George Baker racing moved to Manton in December 2012 and since then the Manton Estate has changed hands.
William Buick signals his victory on Ribchester in the Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes at Newbury
The weather may not have been perfect, but the 12,109 racegoers who attended Newbury's Racecourse's Al Shaqab Lockinge Day witnessed racing of the highest class. Rain had eased the ground from good to soft in places to soft later in the card.
Godolphin won the two biggest races of the day impressively. The feature Group One Al Shaqab Lockinge, worth £350,000, with the favourite Ribchester, trained by Richard Fahey. And the £100,000 G3roup Three Al Rayyan Stakes with another market leader, the Charlie Appleby-trained Hawkbill. Both were ridden by William Buick - a 10/1 double! But there were victories too for local trainers Richard Hannon and Roger Charlton.
Barbury: international eventing stars - and for 2017 added business opportunities
Barbury International Horse Trials, now in its twenty-first year, has launched a new business club, designed to make the event appealing to small and medium-sized businesses in Wiltshire and along the M4 corridor. The 2017 trials run from Thursday, July 6 to Sunday, July 9.
The Horse Trials is already a significant hospitality destination, due to the support of title sponsor St James’s Place Wealth Management, who are based in Cirencester.
The introduction of a business networking group affords a low cost private entertainment solution for small and medium-sized enterprises within the Thames Valley and the area surrounding the Marlborough Downs and Swindon.
More Articles ...
- The Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes - the centrepiece of Newbury Racecourse’s richest race-day
- SUPPORTING THE LOCAL EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: behind the scenes with a vet from Wessex Equine
- Galileo Gold & Ribchester head acceptors for Newbury Racecourse’s £350,000 Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes
- July 2017: St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials to introduce arena eventing & ERM commentary for all
- Eventing: Andrew Nicholson wins his first Badminton - riding Nereo
- Classic contenders and Royal winner headline Dubai Duty Free Spring Trials Saturday
- The magic is back: for Frankie Dettori & Galileo Gold Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes cannot come soon enough
- Emma Lavelle's first year training on the Marlborough Downs sees her nearly double her winners
- Newbury Racecourse's flat season gets off to a fine start with the Spring Trials Weekend
- Laura Thomas: local point-to-point trainer's 'cracking season' - with an added hunter chase victory
- Trainer George Baker to leave his Manton yard
- Tedworth Point-to-Point - sun, crowds, fun, firm going...and not many runners
- Eventing: On the way to Badminton - Riddle Master gets some professional 'yoga'
- Andrew Nicholson set for another busy eventing season - as his horse Asis becomes As Is
- £90,000 raised at Newbury Racecourse's Greatwood charity raceday
- Cheltenham Festival: local star Lil Rockerfeller goes for gold in the Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle
- Jan Perrins talks to former jockey, Cheltenham specialist & trainer Andy Turnell at Broad Hinton: what does he think of the Grand National now?
- Newbury Racecourse announces The Ladbrokes Winter Carnival as the Hennessy Gold Cup morphs into the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Newbury's annual Greatwood Charity Raceday fields some punters' favourites - and a fascinating charity race
- Manton Assistant Trainer Rory O'Dowd wins a Godolphin prize - and visits Westminster