People like Josephine Saunders, who works at the Hillwood Stud in Aldbourne, are the backbone of the racing and bloodstock industries - the six thousand or so women and men who look after the horses at training yards and stud farms throughout the British Isles.
Luke Harvey talks about riding, owning & training point-to-point horses - his love for the sport & its future
Luke lives at Kingston Lisle - just over the downs from Baydon.Where do I start with Luke Harvey - the man who tweets as @LeglockLuke? Jockey, trainer, TV personality, comedian, bon viveur - all that and he's probably the best-known owner of point-to-pointers in Britain.
Kalashnikov wins the Betfair Hurdle on Betfair Super Saturday at Newbury Racecourse - and Barbury Castle's Valdez is back
They saw a great performance from the novice Kalashnikov to land the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle, Britain's richest handicap hurdle - they saw Altior cruise to victory - and they saw return of locally trained veteran Valdez.Despite some atrocious weather, there was a large crowd at Newbury Racecourse for Betfair Super Saturday (February 10).
With the new eventing season just a few weeks away, the Event Rider Masters Series (ERM) has announced its 2018 calendar of six legs, which builds on last year's international expansion into mainland Europe by including a new leg in Belgium.
. It is Britain's richest handicap hurdle and it's run at Newbury Racecourse on February 10 as part of Betfair Super Saturday.A total of 41 horses remain on course for the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle, following the January 23 scratchings deadline
That would almost certainly be Dissavril - a striking five year-old grey mare who is very small but very together and strong - and a winner.You would be forgiven, as you passed a string of racehorses in Ogbourne Maizey on its way to the gallops, for thinking that a polo pony had come along for, as it were, the ride.
Famous five storm Newbury's Betfair Hurdle - champion trainer Nicky Henderson's bid for sixth win - then there's Altior
On Saturday (February 10) he's sending a team of five horses into the race in his bid for a sixth victory.Nicky Henderson has trained five winners of Britain's most valuable hurdle race - Newbury Racecourse's Betfair Hurdle.
Arriving at a race meeting last Saturday, braving some torrential rain and clouds hovering low on the nearby hills, a young photographer tweeted: "I've been coming here since 2011 and working here since 2014 and I still have to pinch myself every time I arrive...#LuckyGirl."
Second Barbury International point-to-point attracts entries from two Irish trainers to run in some more than Irish weather
Grey tending to twilight with a drizzle that only gave up occasionally and cloud or mist that at times came so low that it hid the far side of the course.The weather for the second running of the Barbury International Racing Club point-to-point (January 20) was, an official told marlboroughequestrian.news, 'foul'.
More Articles ...
- Andrew Nicholson draws a huge crowd to raise money for the Prospect Hospice
- Milansbar is back in great form - and Bryony Frost gave him an 'ace' ride
- Barbury International Point-to-Point: record entry includes 14 from Irish trainers & a three division 'bumper'
- Barbury International Point-to-Point affirms its international status
- End of 2017 thriller: Poetic Rhythm's narrow Challow Hurdle win at Newbury - great day for Fergal - mixed fortunes for Nicky
- Pete's retired - again - but he still takes the top prize
- Barbury reaches out to Irish pointers to join its International meeting
- Marlborough trainer Richard Hannon fined £8,000 for fourth cross-contamination error
- Newbury Racecourse's first Ladbrokes Winter Carnival: Irish raider Total Recall lands Ladbrokes Trophy - delighting Willie Mullins & Irish visitors
- Newbury's Ladbrokes Winter Carnival's first day - it's Yanworth versus the mutterers & Thistlecrack versus Unowhatimeanharry
- A Small Grant Means the Going’s Good at Greatwood!
- Barbury's first point-to-point of the season attracts punters, a chill wind and some strong fields
- New sponsor, new silverware: the new perpetual Ladbrokes Trophy unveiled
- He's a local lad, a racing legend and now he's got a Newbury chase named after him: John Francome talks about his favourite racecourse
- Plan to fund point-to-point race in memory of keen rider James McNeille who died last April in a fall
- Coneygree back on target for the Ladbrokes Trophy after Newbury schooling session
- PREVIEW: Point-to-pointing returns to Barbury Racecourse
- The pony who's surviving Equine Grass Sickness - a relatively unknown, but often fatal condition
- Forty-five still on course for Newbury's first running of the £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy - but no Smad Place
- Newbury racecourse prepares for new Ladbrokes Winter Carnival meeting - come summer will it welcome an Aussie star?
- More good news for Manton: Newmarket trainer Martyn Meade buys 'a major part of the estate'
- Tim Price wins second place in world eventing rankings as 2017 season ends
- Entries announced for first Ladbrokes Trophy at Newbury: can Smad Place make the winner's enclosure again?
- Newbury Racecourse's last day of the Flat season sees Group 3 honours for Best Solution, Nebo & Frankie
- Marlborough trainer Emma Lavelle's new jumps season gets off the mark at Ffos Las
- Interview: Local Flat jockey Jimmy Fortune on his career and why he decided to retire
- Brian Meehan is buying Manton's famed training yard and the historic gallops
- Second retirement for former racehorse Beware Chalk Pit - and a celebratory final show ring victory
- Eventing: New Zealand's Tim Price wins in Holland - riding his wife's ride Cekatinka
- Will Rawlin: local event rider heads to five-year-old championships with Elite Horse Owners support
- After a Hannon treble, James Garfield's star turn at Newbury was a real bonus for his newlywed trainer
- Newbury's Dubai Duty Free International Weekend to see a rivalry renewed
- Emma Lavelle took Casino Markets to the USA - a good experience for future sorties
- Local trainer Neil King's Open Day invitation - as he prepares for the new jump season
- Marlborough's Josie Symons and GB team crowned European champions
- Britain's Gemma Tattersall takes ex-racehorse Arctic Soul to win Gatcombe's ERM
- Still re-inventing eventing: how Event Rider Masters is opening up the sport
- Newbury Racecourse: John Francome honoured with renaming of novices' chase on Ladbrokes Trophy Day in December
- Hat trick for Fahey's northern powerhouse as Bengali Boys streaks home in Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury
- Michelle Williamson runs the White Horse Livery - & really enjoyed her first three star eventing at Barbury
- Can Richard Hannon's Epsom winner scoop Weatherbys Super Sprint at Newbury?
- Local Kiwi eventers aim for Nations Cup win at Aachen - with Chef d'Equipe Graeme Thom
- Event Rider Masters: will a superb contest & thrilling finish help to safeguard the future of Barbury Horse Trials?
- Twelve years on William Fox-Pitt puts his signature on Barbury again
- Barbury Horse Trials Day Three: France's Thomas Carlile takes the lead in a thrilling dressage phase
- Barbury Horse Trials - Day Two: Britain's Kristina Cook leads in the CIC three star
- Fox-Pitt leads CIC*** dressage at St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials
- Trainer Alan King fined: Champion Hurdle favourite Yanworth failed drug test
- World’s best event riders set for Barbury battle - as Andrew Nicholson targets sixth consecutive Barbury win
- Local racehorse Fidelity stays faithful to second place