Our current Horse in the Spotlight - Fidelity - has remained faithful to his fancy for coming in second.
At Newbury you get entertaining racing & the chance to turn a pound stake into seventy quid on the Tote
A sunny day at Newbury Racecourse saw a good crowd for the eight race card. The card came with a warm-up act in the shape of a race for purebred Arabians sponsored by the Dubai International Arabian Races - and in the first race a major surprise for punters - well, for some of them.
To top off a good day's racing, Newbury Racecourse was named as the best large Racecourse in the south of England by the Racegoers Club. 'Team Newbury' was delighted with this accolade.
SUPPORTING THE EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: how Chapel Forge Farriers & their apprentices provide an equine podiatry service from foal to racehorse
Founder Gary Pickford using the forge at Chapel Forge Farriers' Lambourn headquarters
In Upper Lambourn there is a disused cemetery beside a former chapel which now houses two forges - inside on the upper floor is the headquarters of Chapel Forge Farriers. It is Europe's largest firm of farriers employing a team of up to 28 farriers at any one time - as well as apprentices.
Chelsea Pearce and Albert VI at the Houhgton International Horse Trials
Eighteen year-old event rider Chelsea Pearce, who is based near Marlborough, has won selection to the long-list for the British team to go to Ireland for the 2017 Young Rider European Championships.
She and Albert VI finished fourth at the Saracen Horse Feeds Houghton International Horse Trials in the CCIYR** - the premier young riders' class.
Barbury: international eventing stars - and for 2017 added business opportunities
Barbury International Horse Trials, now in its twenty-first year, has launched a new business club, designed to make the event appealing to small and medium-sized businesses in Wiltshire and along the M4 corridor. The 2017 trials run from Thursday, July 6 to Sunday, July 9.
The Horse Trials is already a significant hospitality destination, due to the support of title sponsor St James’s Place Wealth Management, who are based in Cirencester.
The introduction of a business networking group affords a low cost private entertainment solution for small and medium-sized enterprises within the Thames Valley and the area surrounding the Marlborough Downs and Swindon.
When I arrived to meet with Jonelle Price she scooted up, sitting side saddle on a tractor mower, having been busy cutting grass. Nearly seven months pregnant, it becomes apparent quite quickly that this lady is not going to let pregnancy slow her down.
Photo copyright Benjamin Clark/Event Rider Masters
Britain’s Sarah Cohen celebrated her first Event Rider Masters victory leading an all-female podium at Leg Two of the series at Wiesbaden - the first time a leg of the ERM competition has been held in mainland Europe.
The next leg of the 2017 series will be during the St James's Place Barbury International Horse Trials (July 6-9.)
We will miss this logo as the George Baker horsebox takes horses to race meetings
Trainer George Baker, his wife Candida, their children, most of his team and some new young horses have now moved out of their Barton Yard on the Manton Estate.
By June 1 they will be installed at the new home on Robins Farm near Chiddingfold on the Surrey/West Sussex border - the yard there is 'very much up and running'. George Baker racing moved to Manton in December 2012 and since then the Manton Estate has changed hands.
William Buick signals his victory on Ribchester in the Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes at Newbury
The weather may not have been perfect, but the 12,109 racegoers who attended Newbury's Racecourse's Al Shaqab Lockinge Day witnessed racing of the highest class. Rain had eased the ground from good to soft in places to soft later in the card.
Godolphin won the two biggest races of the day impressively. The feature Group One Al Shaqab Lockinge, worth £350,000, with the favourite Ribchester, trained by Richard Fahey. And the £100,000 G3roup Three Al Rayyan Stakes with another market leader, the Charlie Appleby-trained Hawkbill. Both were ridden by William Buick - a 10/1 double! But there were victories too for local trainers Richard Hannon and Roger Charlton.
More Articles ...
- The Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes - the centrepiece of Newbury Racecourse’s richest race-day
- SUPPORTING THE LOCAL EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: behind the scenes with a vet from Wessex Equine
- Galileo Gold & Ribchester head acceptors for Newbury Racecourse’s £350,000 Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes
- July 2017: St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials to introduce arena eventing & ERM commentary for all
- Eventing: Andrew Nicholson wins his first Badminton - riding Nereo
- The magic is back: for Frankie Dettori & Galileo Gold Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes cannot come soon enough
- Badminton call heralds breakthrough for Lissa Green and Ali G
- Classic contenders and Royal winner headline Dubai Duty Free Spring Trials Saturday
- Emma Lavelle's first year training on the Marlborough Downs sees her nearly double her winners
- Newbury Racecourse's flat season gets off to a fine start with the Spring Trials Weekend
- Trainer George Baker to leave his Manton yard
- Retraining of Racehorses: the story of the stellar second career of Marlborough owned & trained racehorse Beware Chalk Pit
- Laura Thomas: local point-to-point trainer's 'cracking season' - with an added hunter chase victory
- Tedworth Point-to-Point - sun, crowds, fun, firm going...and not many runners
- Eventing: On the way to Badminton - Riddle Master gets some professional 'yoga'
- Andrew Nicholson set for another busy eventing season - as his horse Asis becomes As Is
- £90,000 raised at Newbury Racecourse's Greatwood charity raceday
- Cheltenham Festival: local star Lil Rockerfeller goes for gold in the Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle
- Jan Perrins talks to former jockey, Cheltenham specialist & trainer Andy Turnell at Broad Hinton: what does he think of the Grand National now?
- Newbury Racecourse announces The Ladbrokes Winter Carnival as the Hennessy Gold Cup morphs into the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Newbury's annual Greatwood Charity Raceday fields some punters' favourites - and a fascinating charity race
- Manton Assistant Trainer Rory O'Dowd wins a Godolphin prize - and visits Westminster
- Event Rider Masters confirm 2017 contests - including July's Barbury International Horse Trials
- Lambourn Open Day re-named in honour of Many Clouds
- Barbury Racecourse preview: Vine & Craven point-to-point promises strong entries, competitive races & local interest
- Paul Nicholls pleased with preparations for Newbury's major Betfair Super Saturday
- It's the Ladbrokes Gold Cup - leading bookmaker to sponsor Newbury Racecourse's flagship winter jumps meeting
- Weights for Newbury's Betfair Hurdle: 15/2 favourite Ballyandy handed 10st 6lb
- A truly bumper event: full report on the first Barbury International point-to-point
- Inaugural Barbury International Point-to-Point draws a big crowd - and scores a number of welcome firsts
- Barbury International: Tattersalls Ireland sale offer to inaugural point-to-point's winners
- St James’s Place sponsors award for leading trainer at first ever Barbury International point-to-point
- Local trainer Neil King buys top price Canyon City as hurdle prospect
- Eventing - the Olympic changes: New Zealanders fear dumbing down of their sport
- Eventing: FEI votes in favour of teams of three for the Tokyo Olympics
- Newbury Racecourse's biggest racedays: can local hero Smad Place win the Hennessy again?
- New Zealand eventing looks for a UK-based manager
- Rio aside, Marlborough's Kiwi eventers have had a good season but "Next year can't come soon enough"
- European Eventing Championships: Team GB's juniors take bronze medal - Chelsea Pearce finishes best of British in eighth place
- European Eventing Championships: Great Britain's juniors in bronze position - Chelsea Pearce is in eleventh place
- Nigel Bunter puts Barbury Castle Estate up for sale - future of International Horse Trials and Alan King Racing in the balance
- Jonelle Price takes second place in first Event Rider Masters series
- Avebury: Andrew Nicholson's partner in so many eventing triumphs is put down
- Local New Zealand riders take three of top four places at Burghley Horse Trials
- Marlborough rider Chelsea Pearce chosen for British team at Junior Euro Championships in Italy
- British riders take top three places in Event ’Rider Master’s fifth leg - luck deserts Jock Paget again
- Local riders travel to Scotland for the penultimate round of the new Event Rider Masters competition
- Bonita Stables: Ogbourne Maizey's new racing trainer looks ahead
- Dogged by bad luck, New Zealand eventers drop out of Olympic team medals
- Trainer Sally Randell leaves Broad Hinton stables to join Fergal O'Brien in the Cotswolds