Newbury racecourse marked the opening of its Flat racing season by installing a remarkable sculpture at the heart of the parade rings - Tom Hiscocks' massive yet finely realised depiction of a drinking horse.
The Friday of Newbury Racecourse's first Flat meeting of the season - the Dubai Duty Free Spring Trials Weekend - saw sunshine and good racing, the Saturday (April 21) saw a little less less sunshine but some great racing.
Racing is believed to have taken place on ‘the race plain’ from as early as the sixteenth century and Salisbury's Racecourse's ‘City Bowl’, dating back to 1654, is thought to be Britain's oldest named race - it is currently sponsored by Betfred.
Barbury Racecourse: Tedworth Point-to-Point draws a large - if rather wet - crowd to watch some great racing
Watching in the cold and misty rain was a really large crowd of enthusiasts.Lotus Pond once more repaid his connections' faith with a convincing victory in the JM Finn & Co Mixed Open for the Tedworth Gold Cup at the Tedworth Hunt meeting at Barbury Racecourse, last Sunday (April 8).
The Manton Estate's new owner Martyn Meade plans to return it to its former position as one of the country's best racehorse training centres - and just a fortnight after his move from Newmarket, he sent out Chilean to win at Longchamp (April 8).
This may be Marlborough based Flora Harris’ attempt for a third completion at the Mitsubishi Motors Badminton Horse Trials in a few weeks, but she is definitely not looking to the proverb, ‘third time’ lucky’, to see her through.
Marlboroughequestrian.news has learned that Perrine, the the RDA Carriage Driving Pony who's life was under threat following an accident will now be retired rather than put down.
The Trustees of Kennet Valley Driving Group relented after the petition was signed by over 3,500 people and the chairman Gillian Fallon received countless emails from people keen to persuade the committee of trustees to change their decision.
As yet we are unsure as to Perrine's future other than she will have one, albeit though not as one pulling cariages for the Kennet Valley Driving Group.
He will be ridden by Bryony Frost - who rode him to a most famous victory in the Betfred Classic Chase at Warwick in January.With the announcement this afternoon of the five-day confirmations for Saturday's Randox Health Grand National, it is confirmed that Milansbar - trained by Neil King on the west side of Barbury Castle - will run.
The prologue to the Tedworth Point-to-Point at Barbury Racecourse (April 8) took the form of two pretty fast and furious pony races. These were sponsored by the Marlborough company Keyflow Feeds.
More Articles ...
- Rain and snow and more rain: the weather will have a lasting effect on equestrian sport
- PREVIEW: Tedworth Point-to-Point at Barbury Racecourse - a full card expected with ninety-three entries
- Petition saves life of disabled driving group's horse - for now
- Larkhill's Avon Vale Races to celebrate James McNeile's life & memory - at the anniversary of his death
- Dates for the diary: St James’s Place Barbury Horse Trials box office now open
- Lambourn Open Day VERY curtailed due to wet conditions
- End of Newbury's jump racing season marked with popular prizes
- 'The Newburys' - the racecourse celebrates the stars of their Jump racing season
- New Eventing Club gives access to enthusiasts - once the season gets clear of snow
- Cheltenham Festival final day declarations: Redicean is the big local interest, but can Nicky Henderson make it a Festival hat trick?
- Cheltenham 2018: declarations for Thursday - & a local duel in the Stayers' Hurdle
- Local interest for Cheltenham Festival's Wednesday/Day Two - but first rain and then Altior are headline news
- Local trainers' close watch on the Cheltenham Festival going as rain takes its toll
- Keith Ottesen appointed Clerk of the Course at Newbury Racecourse
- The Cheltenham Festival build-up: horses to watch from trainer Alan King's Barbury Castle yard
- Stable worker at Aldbourne stud is finallist for the Godolphin Newcomer award
- Luke Harvey talks about riding, owning & training point-to-point horses - his love for the sport & its future
- Emma Lavelle's young horses take centre stage as the jump season winds up the excitement
- Kalashnikov wins the Betfair Hurdle on Betfair Super Saturday at Newbury Racecourse - and Barbury Castle's Valdez is back
- Famous five storm Newbury's Betfair Hurdle - champion trainer Nicky Henderson's bid for sixth win - then there's Altior
- Barbury International Horse Trials stays firmly on the Event Rider Masters' 2018 calendar
- She's the official - and ace - photographer for Newbury Racecourse - known generally as 'Smiler'
- Newbury Racecourse: 41 still going for the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle on Betfair Super Saturday
- Second Barbury International point-to-point attracts entries from two Irish trainers to run in some more than Irish weather
- Andrew Nicholson draws a huge crowd to raise money for the Prospect Hospice
- Milansbar is back in great form - and Bryony Frost gave him an 'ace' ride
- Barbury International Point-to-Point: record entry includes 14 from Irish trainers & a three division 'bumper'
- Barbury International Point-to-Point affirms its international status
- End of 2017 thriller: Poetic Rhythm's narrow Challow Hurdle win at Newbury - great day for Fergal - mixed fortunes for Nicky
- Pete's retired - again - but he still takes the top prize
- Barbury reaches out to Irish pointers to join its International meeting
- Marlborough trainer Richard Hannon fined £8,000 for fourth cross-contamination error
- Newbury Racecourse's first Ladbrokes Winter Carnival: Irish raider Total Recall lands Ladbrokes Trophy - delighting Willie Mullins & Irish visitors
- Newbury's Ladbrokes Winter Carnival's first day - it's Yanworth versus the mutterers & Thistlecrack versus Unowhatimeanharry
- A Small Grant Means the Going’s Good at Greatwood!
- Barbury's first point-to-point of the season attracts punters, a chill wind and some strong fields
- New sponsor, new silverware: the new perpetual Ladbrokes Trophy unveiled
- He's a local lad, a racing legend and now he's got a Newbury chase named after him: John Francome talks about his favourite racecourse
- Plan to fund point-to-point race in memory of keen rider James McNeille who died last April in a fall
- Coneygree back on target for the Ladbrokes Trophy after Newbury schooling session
- PREVIEW: Point-to-pointing returns to Barbury Racecourse
- The pony who's surviving Equine Grass Sickness - a relatively unknown, but often fatal condition
- Forty-five still on course for Newbury's first running of the £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy - but no Smad Place
- Newbury racecourse prepares for new Ladbrokes Winter Carnival meeting - come summer will it welcome an Aussie star?
- More good news for Manton: Newmarket trainer Martyn Meade buys 'a major part of the estate'
- Tim Price wins second place in world eventing rankings as 2017 season ends
- Entries announced for first Ladbrokes Trophy at Newbury: can Smad Place make the winner's enclosure again?
- Newbury Racecourse's last day of the Flat season sees Group 3 honours for Best Solution, Nebo & Frankie
- Marlborough trainer Emma Lavelle's new jumps season gets off the mark at Ffos Las
- Interview: Local Flat jockey Jimmy Fortune on his career and why he decided to retire