It is vital for them to get competitions in before the major events - Badminton (May 1-5) comes up pretty quickly.Like racing trainers, as their season gets underway, Britain's eventers are looking obsessively at weather forecasts.
CHELTENHAM PREVIEW: How do I get to Ogbourne Maizey? Where? Bonita Racing Stables? Oh, just ask for Paisley Park
The Emma Lavelle Racing stables - aka Bonita Racing Stables and currently Ogbourne Maizey's main attraction - have had dozens of visitors over the past few weeks.
The rain held off, but the clouds turned it quite dark by fifth race. The going - after the previous day's rain and some watering - was Good to Soft for Newbury Racecourse's Mencap Raceday (March 1) - and with another Emitom win, a new star may well have shown how bright he could shine.
Paul Nicholls has three potential candidates for the William Hill Supporting Greatwood Gold Cup Handicap Chase (Grade 3) in which the ten times champion jumps trainer could claim his ninth victory at Newbury on Saturday, 2 March 2019.
The British eventing season opened in earnest last Saturday (March 2) at Moreton in Dorset.
.The Grade 3 William Hill Supporting Greatwood Gold Cup is becoming a Paul Nicholls benefit after the ten-time champion jumps trainer extended his domination of the feature Newbury chase to nine victories with San Benedetoon Saturday (March 2)
Barbury basked in unseasonal sunshine on Saturday (February 23) for the rescheduled Vine & Craven Point-to-Point's eight races.
EVENTING PROFILE: as the new season approaches, New Zealander Jesse Campbell makes a new start - with his fiancée
Spring brings the start of the new eventing season in Europe - and it's bringing an exciting and fresh start for New Zealand eventer Jesse Campbell.
More Articles ...
- MEETING ABANDONED DUE TO EQUINE FLU OUTBREAK PREVIEW: Barbury Racecourse is clear of snow & ready for season's second Vine & Craven point-to-point
- Barbury International Horse Trials get new team & need new sponsor
- Event Rider Masters dump Barbury from their 2019 programme
- Denman gets permanent memorial at Newbury Racecourse with specially designed wrought iron gates
- Local star's four wins from four runs: Paisley Park gets closer still to Cheltenham Festival glory
- Keeping them racing all year round: Newbury's new Clerk of the Course has a weather eye on the turf
- Driving solo from west Wales to Mongolia raising funds for charity - with a stop-off to meet a local para-equestrian
- Newbury Racing: Betway Challow glory for Champ, a fond farewell for Clerk of the Course Richard Osgood & Richard Johnson's OBE
- Paisley Park gives owner, trainer and jockey a Grade 1 Christmas present at Ascot
- Newbury's Betway Challow Hurdle Day: first race will be named in honour of departing Clerk of the Course Richard Osgood
- Barbury International Point-to-Point's new date sees good support and great racing
- Laura Thomas: Barbury trainer faces economic truths - and keeps the pointers for fun
- Preview: Barbury International Racing Club's point-to-point takes on its new pre-Christmas & post Cheltenham date
- Newbury: Sizing Tennessee leads Tizzard one-two in £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy - local interest Dingo Dollar is third
- Elegant Escape favourite of 23 runners for Ladbrokes Trophy - Dingo Dollar & Black Corton in good shape for £250,000 Newbury highlight
- Barbury International point-to-point rewards young horse owners
- Barbury Racecourse point-to-point season opens with the Vine and Craven event
- Gallops Morning at Newbury Racecourse previews the second running of the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Indoor Eventing: Jesse Campbell and Diachello II excel in Stuttgart Masters
- Newbury's jumps season kicks off - good racing & some markers for the future
- Defending champion Total Recall, Terrefort & Thistlecrack head entries for Newbury's £250,000 Ladbrokes Trophy
- Bucket list opportunity - with added silks
- Betway announced as new sponsor for Grade 1 Challow Novices' Hurdle at Newbury
- Newbury Racecourse's Flat season ends on a military note - and marks two centenaries
- New Jumps season: preparations and prospects for Emma Lavelle Racing
- Eventing profile: after a year in the Marlborough area & a good season, Georgie Strang looks to next year's challenges
- Salisbury Racecourse: a review of the season as its final meeting approaches
- Newbury Racecourse sees Ed Barrett’s truly remarkable walk for charity, lots of rain and good racing
- Newbury racing: Ian Balding remembers Mill Reef - fifty years after the great horse's birth
- Eventing: Great Britain team's two gold medals at World Equestrian Games
- Neil King's Milansbar to target the Grand National again
- Eventing: Team Price's year crowned with Tim's fine Burghley win - next up for the 'golden couple' the World Games
- My ride in Glorious Goodwood's 2018 Magnolia Cup - the premier charity race for amateur women riders
- Eventing: Tim Price eyes Burghley crown
- Sir Dancealot's fine season continues as he takes Newbury's Hungerford Stakes
- A Newbury summer raceday giving pride of place to young blood - horses & riders - and there's a new face at the course
- Three local eventers picked for New Zealand's team at September's World Equestrian Games
- Seconds away from victory for Wiltshire eventer Georgie Strang at Hickstead
- World Equestrian Games: New Zealand eventers hit hard by injury to a winning team's horse
- Delight for Richard Hannon as 16/1 Ginger Nut proves tough in Newbury's Super Sprint
- New Greatwood scheme addresses trauma effects in members of forces, emergency services & their families
- Salisbury races: Ladies Evening sees a popular De Sousa treble - & fashions galore
- Para-equestrian dressage rider has to forego selection to represent Great Britain
- Newbury Racing: Signora Cabello among 56 confirmations for Weatherbys Super Sprint
- Wesko's back! In France Tim Price and Wesko take second place at fifth Event Rider Masters leg
- Barbury Horse Trials leg of 2018 Event Rider Masters goes to France - with an amazing performance by Tom Carlile & Upsilon
- Barbury Horse Trials: local eventers leave the jockeys behind in spirited charity relay challenge
- Barbury Horse Trials with international stars of eventing - top horses - top riders - and there's fun for grown-ups & kids too
- Newbury Racecourse introduces the new £100,000 JLT Cup
- Andrew Nicholson honoured in New Zealand's Queen's Birthday Honours